Masters Degree in Health Care Ethics
The discipline of Health Care Ethics plays a vital role in conducting research, advising, and designing policies to improve the ethical quality of health care in the increasing complex milieu of global health care practice and delivery.
Health Care Ethics within a given society are shaped by guiding principles rooted in theology, philosophy, and laws. Important legal cases involving health care issues, such as Roe v. Wade, where the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the human fetus is considered only a potential person and is not accorded any civil rights under the Constitution, or the Nancy Cruzan case in 1983 that dealt with the right to make decisions on behalf of incompetent patients, which ultimately led to the development of advance directives, often influence the development of health care ethics policies.
Technological advances in health care provide longer and richer lives to millions of people, but they also give rise to additional ethical issues that lead to reshaping health care decision making and policies. Health ethicists are often involved in legislative efforts. From writing amicus briefs on court cases, to serving on local, state, and national advisory panels, to sponsoring legislative bills, health ethicists have worked for legislative change related to issues such as cloning, stem cell research, end of life care, and many more.
Healthcare institutions in the U.S. and around the world face an increasing demand for professionals who can analyze complex ethics cases and policies, facilitate ethical decision-making, and effectively teach colleagues and students. Health Ethicists work in a growing variety of settings including medical schools, health care facilities, universities and colleges, governments, non-governmental organizations, nursing schools, public health schools, allied health schools, law schools, private practice, community colleges, dental schools, and community health agencies.
Pursue a Master of Science (M.S.) in Health Care Ethics degree online
The online Master of Science in Health Care Ethics degree is offered through the Center for Health Policy and Ethics (CHPE) at Creighton University, a top tier Jesuit university founded in Omaha in 1878, and ranked #1 among comprehensive Midwestern universities in U.S. News & World Report for 13 consecutive years.
This online degree program is ideal for the career professional looking to bring value-added components to their current position and is relevant for: physicians, nurses, hospital administrators, pharmacists, lawyers and occupational and physical therapists, as well as a number of other health care-related positions. This program may also provide a transition opportunity for professionals interested in transitioning into the health care industry.
Graduates of the online Master of Science in Health Care Ethics degree program will possess a comprehensive understanding of the field of bioethics as well as a deeper understanding of the impact of relevant historical, cultural, philosophical, political, economic and legal issues in health care practices and policies, and their impact on vulnerable populations.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Understand the complexities of the myriad ethical problems and controversies in today’s health care environment, especially those concerning vulnerable populations
- Apply ethical principles and theories to problems and issues in health care and provide justification for a particular course of action in response
- Facilitate open discussion among diverse individuals in ethically complex situations
- Design educational tools and policies to improve the ethical quality of health care
Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? Apply to GCU!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Take control of your future with education and innovation. Loyola University New Orleans offers three CCNE-accredited online nursing programs—RN-BSN, MSN, and DNP—as well as a variety of career concentrations so you can align your education to your professional interests.
- New Orleans
- New Orleans
Sacred Heart University offer signature humanistic core principles and degree programs offering interactive learning, personal attention, small classes, and rigorous academics.
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
A Saint Xavier University education is one that is grounded in the tradition of liberal arts. SXU offers graduate and post-graduate programs that are recognized and respected by employers and delivered by professional faculty who are experts in their fields.
Queens University of Charlotte was founded in 1857 on a devotion to serving students, and has brought that same devotion to its online community with an innovative online learning system, personalized student support, and the same faculty that teach in the campus programs.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Administrator
- Master of Science in Nursing: Undecided
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)