Masters Degree in Health Care Ethics
The discipline of Health Care Ethics plays a vital role in conducting research, advising, and designing policies to improve the ethical quality of health care in the increasing complex milieu of global health care practice and delivery.
Health Care Ethics within a given society are shaped by guiding principles rooted in theology, philosophy, and laws. Important legal cases involving health care issues, such as Roe v. Wade, where the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the human fetus is considered only a potential person and is not accorded any civil rights under the Constitution, or the Nancy Cruzan case in 1983 that dealt with the right to make decisions on behalf of incompetent patients, which ultimately led to the development of advance directives, often influence the development of health care ethics policies.
Technological advances in health care may provide longer and richer lives to millions of people, but they also give rise to additional ethical issues that lead to reshaping health care decision making and policies. Health ethicists are often involved in legislative efforts. From writing amicus briefs on court cases, to serving on local, state, and national advisory panels, to sponsoring legislative bills, health ethicists have worked for legislative change related to issues such as cloning, stem cell research, end of life care, and many more.
Healthcare institutions in the U.S. and around the world face an increasing demand for professionals who can analyze complex ethics cases and policies, facilitate ethical decision-making, and effectively teach colleagues and students. Health Ethicists work in a growing variety of settings including medical schools, health care facilities, universities and colleges, governments, non-governmental organizations, nursing schools, public health schools, allied health schools, law schools, private practice, community colleges, dental schools, and community health agencies.
Pursue a Master of Science (M.S.) in Health Care Ethics degree online
The online Master of Science in Health Care Ethics degree is offered through the Center for Health Policy and Ethics (CHPE) at Creighton University, a Jesuit university founded in Omaha in 1878, and ranked #1 among comprehensive Midwestern universities in U.S. News & World Report for 13 consecutive years.
This online degree program is ideal for the career professional looking to bring value-added components to their current position and is relevant for: physicians, nurses, hospital administrators, pharmacists, lawyers and occupational and physical therapists, as well as a number of other health care-related positions. This program may also provide a transition opportunity for professionals interested in transitioning into the health care industry.
Graduates of the online Master of Science in Health Care Ethics degree program will likely possess a comprehensive understanding of the field of bioethics as well as a deeper understanding of the impact of relevant historical, cultural, philosophical, political, economic and legal issues in health care practices and policies, and their impact on vulnerable populations.
Graduates will typically be able to:
- Understand the complexities of the myriad ethical problems and controversies in today’s health care environment, especially those concerning vulnerable populations
- Apply ethical principles and theories to problems and issues in health care and give justification for a particular course of action in response
- Facilitate open discussion among diverse individuals in ethically complex situations
- Design educational tools and policies to improve the ethical quality of health care
Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? Apply to GCU!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- San Diego
- San Diego
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Founded in 1887, Benedictine University is dedicated to the education of undergraduate and graduate students. Benedictine is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online